Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Melbourne & The Outback

I apologize for the lack of updates, while my iPhone was streaming internet just fine in Melbourne, the netbook, my only source for updating the blog, was not. Funny that the best internet connection we've found so far is here....in the middle of the Outback. So the pictures from this update are going to be a little bit out of order. We spent our first few days of this vacay in Melbourne and are currently sitting in Alice Springs.....pretty much in the middle of the Australian Outback. Tomorrow we will spend the day taking a trip to Ayer's Rock.


We're staying at a place called Toddy's in Alice Springs. It is a haven for backpackers....our driver from the airport was one crazy Aussie. He let us stop to take a picture on our way into town (okay, let's be honest....the "letting us stop for a picture" was probably just an excuse for a cigarette break for him....but hey, he got us to the "resort" safely, and provided much entertainment along the way. At one point Andy looked at me and asked, "Who is he talking to?"




I'm not going to lie, kangaroos were the number one reason I wanted to visit Australia....we had a ton of fun feeding and hugging these guys....Andy and I took some awesome pics of the two of us and one of our kangaroo buddies, but that was with my iPhone....those pics will have to be unveiled later!



I'm not sure if this picture was taken before or after this lil guy got mad at Andrew. He was a little fiesty to say the least...but I can't say I blame him, Andrew was in the way of his prescious food....





Ahhhh yes, back to the one-arm, line up the shot, and take a picture of ourselves mode....gotta love it. Thank you Mom, I have the perfect length arms for these shots. Note: bags under my eyes....this picture was taken on day 2 of our trip, still feeling very tired! Thank goodness Melbourne is known for their coffee, caffinate me up baby!!





This alleyway is painted monthly with new murals by local artists.






Here's a nice shot looking down the river in Melbourne. Don't be decieved by the sunglasses, the weather has been actually pretty chilly.


Things I learned in Melbourne (pronounced "Melbin"):


1. The Australians do not provide you with help when crossing the road like they do in London (ie. Look RIGHT or Look LEFT painted on the road) Our friend Beth gave me the best advice "look both ways, five times, before crosssing". I think I've finally got it figured out...


2. Beeyah = Beer

3. Australians are very friendly and will buy you a "Beeyah" within ten minutes of meeting you. (Friendly Aussie sitting next to us at the rugby game)


4. Most people in Melbourne have dark hair, contrary to my stereotypical view on Australians. Being blonde here and walking through a rugby game is one way to easily attract attention. Lesson: do not have your husband leave you unattended for too long during such events.


Alright, time to sleep...we are catching our bus to Ayer's Rock at 6am. Hope you are all enjoying the gorgeous summer weather in the midwest.....it is winter here in Australia and that actually means it's pretty cold, especially at night!


Love from the Outback!! Please say we don't see any snakes tomorrow......


J&A





No comments:

Post a Comment